Monday, April 27, 2009

TAKS testing time!

This week is the end-all-be-all for high schoolers.  Well, juniors anyways.  The seniors hopefully passed last year and actually get to sleep in and come to school around 11:30 for 4 days. Nice.  The rest of the school- and teachers- get to be in testing mode and get totally burnt out for those 4 days.  We start by getting our materials at 6:45 then set up for the kids (I have 12 testing with me).  Then they get to test and remain perfectly quiet (only allowed to sleep or read a book) until around 11:30 when the school is done testing.  It's hard to monitor kids testing for 4 hours!  I'm planning on getting breakfast and a diet coke in the morning!!!  Then after testing we still have to teach two periods and have lunch way late.  The kids especially do not want to learn after testing (I don't blame them)...but I have a lot to teach them!  I'm gonna try to do a lab since that at least gets them out of their seats.  

Benefits of TAKS- I get to do personal tutoring (for $25-30/hr) and also teach Saturday TAKS camps for the same rate!  

Downfalls- staring at kids taking tests. I can't read or do anything while they're testing. Stamina!  Thinking about a to-do list I can't do anything about!  I don't even get a conference period ALL week. blah.

Let the testing begin...

2 comments:

Lindsay Mecham said...

How did TAKS testing go?

Jenn said...

it was long, boring, and exhausting. But it's OVER! thank goodness!