Thursday, July 30, 2009

gratitude and adventures

Okay, so it's been an adventure here in LA with the clan of ten kids.  Let me focus on the positives.  For one, how many people can say they got to work for NASA for a summer in LA?  Pretty snazzy.  And financially, it pays better than my teaching job. Can't go wrong there.  On top of that, I get to temporarily live in LA and not pay for rent or food or gas or parking. That adds up, my friends. I get to see cool things and tour around (also paid for).  I also get to know some awesome kids who have bright futures and are just plain great. A lot of them are just a blast.  Impressive bunch. Even if I am with them 24/7 minus the few hours they're at work!  :)

Yes, I've been lonely here in LA- not being around anyone my age is tough- but I have learned a lot about myself.  I am working on my biggest flaw- being too hard on myself.  How do I fix that?  Well being alone with your thoughts makes you fix that or you'll go crazy!  That and going to the temple. And going to the gym. I got a personal trainer contract (which will still be good in Texas) and so I'm getting all buff. ;)  It's a confidence booster. I may come off confident, but I sure don't feel it some days. But that's changing. I feel more confident and at peace with myself.  So a little bit of physical confidence along with spiritual confidence (yup, Heavenly Father keeps telling me to be patient!) I think I can conquer the world. Or close. 

I can do hard things (reference from my mission president).  I am scared to start school next month but every day I'm less scared. I know more than I did a couple years ago. I CAN handle high schoolers.  I'm learning to not take things personally. I'm a sweet gal and if they don't like me that's their problem (still trying to convince myself of that...).  I can't make everyone happy (a lesson learned this summer when trying to please ten kids at once).  But I can make me happy.  I control that.  It's not what city I'm in, if I'm dating anyone, what job I have... it's all about my perspective on those things that really makes me happy.  That's what matters. 

I will be grateful to be home in Houston with my friends and start a new school year. It's going to be a good year- in many ways. And I'll keep learning from the experiences put in my path. I know I was here to be in LA with these great kids for a reason. I've learned lots from them and hope they have learned something from Maegan and me, too.  It hasn't been easy but I think it's been worth it.

My adventures aren't over....

No comments: