Thursday, August 6, 2009

ode to victor


I just got word that my favorite convert from Chile, Victor, is dying of lung cancer. He was so amazing and will forever be a key part of my life. Let me tell you about him.
Lindsey Lansing and I were companions in Santiago. I only had a few months in the mission and she only had a few to go. But I was new to the area. Lansing had taught English on Saturdays to a lot of non-members and Victor used to attend. One day we were at a little tienda (shop) and talked to someone who happened to know Victor. He hadn't been to English class in a while and this lady told us he was sick and gave us (so conveniently) his address. So, we went to visit! He was just delighted to have us visit and to know someone cared. Victor was 66 (I think) when we met him and he lived alone. He had a bad habit of smoking- but was one of the most determined to stop. He said he could've bought a house with as much money he's spent on cigarettes over the years! We would teach him about the Book of Mormon and the Gospel and would take him to church. We would eat cookies and drink Ecco (coffee that's not coffee). We would even speak in English (he spoke really well!). It was grand. He got bapti
zed and I just remember being so happy that day. So happy. I love Victor! He gave up a lot to join the Church and his determination got him far, always did. He was in the EQ presidency not long after I left the mission and was always the best with investigators! Oh, Victor.

I'm so sorry he has lung cancer. I have faith Heavenly Father knows what he's doing, but I just can't help but get teary eyed. I can't lose my Victor! Hang in there, my dear friend. I love you!

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

Hey. I'm so sorry to hear about Victor. I got teary eyed reading your post. How sad it is to hear that. I love that guy. He always made me feel so welcome and that I was special. Keep me posted. Love ya.

Bridgette said...

I remember when he first came to the class. He had a British accent when he spoke English!! I was so excited when I found out he had been baptized years ago, and so sad to find this out...and that now he has passed. He will be eternally grateful for your missionary work with him.