Friday, October 12, 2007

Cover Your Buttons

We got Monday off! Sweet! I played with my roommates (shopping) and then met up with an old mission companion (lunch and shopping) and more roommate time (shopping). I'm a good little bargain shopper. I take after my mom, what can I say. Plus hanging out with Smart (my companion's last name...) was so fun! She grew up in Maryland and is out here working.

Tuesday was Parent-Teacher Conferences. All afternoon and evening. Talk about a long day. Here are the different scenarios:
1. "Oh, you're child is doing so well academically and they are such a delight to have in class!"
2. "Oh, you're child is doing so well academically. They do, however, talk waaaay to much during class!"
3. "Your child is not doing well and does not pay attention in class."
4. "I'm not sure I have met your child... They never are in my class..."

Oh wait, none (meaning zero) of the scenario 3 and 4 parents EVER come to talk to me. Just the 1's and 2's. Ironic, isn't it? And that one annoying dad who donated us stuff wants Ms. Petree to write up what she received for tax write-offs. Her comment- "He's annoying. I'd rather not have received the stuff." haha.

I did have my patience tried earlier this week with my kids. However- the plus was that they did wear their goggles (I just threatened to kick them out of the lab if I saw them without goggles). So, I had a lab for them to put sticks of different elements in a flame to see what color it emitted. A cool lab. Not hard. But I feel like I have to babysit them and they just push your buttons! Some lady here once told us to "cover your buttons." We didn't get what she meant ("like our shirt buttons?" we thought as we all look down at our shirts...) until she explained- cover your buttons so they can't push your buttons. ahhh. gotcha. Anyways, I'm learning how to cover my buttons. But dang, they can be so annoying! "Ms Daniel..." "Ms DanielS..." "We need help!" "Ms. Dan-yell!" "What do we do now?" (that's why you have a PROCEDURE written down right in front of your face). Cover your butt.

My students are learning about electron configurations this week- you remember those? 1s^2 2s^2.... basically what energy level/orbital the electrons are in. Super hard stuff. But it's in the curriculum. I have thought of an unique approach and I think it's working. It's quite slow to get into and there's a lot of "I don't get its" but "you're not supposed to yet" to it... but it's been going well. I love trying to think of ways to make it learn-able for them! Lots of pictures, tables, and heck, even coloring (of the different s p d f orbitals on the periodic table in case your were wondering).

I do love them. My fourth period- the ones I see everyday are my absolute favorites!

I went to the Holocaust Museum and to the National Archives. Everything is easy to stop by on my way home, just off the metro stops. Love it.

Remember that huge teacher work sample project? Yeah, it's due next month but I am DONE! I'm ready to mail it back to BYU. Awesomeness!

I am now a financial wizard. Not really, but I'm now much more aware of finances as per my new job soon- thanks to the book Dee sent me. Speaking of which, I found a roommate for January in Houston! She graduated from BYU in Chemical Engineering and works for Dow Chemical. She has a two bedroom apt right on the marina and does not have a roommate. She said she'd love to have me as her roommate. Only like $400/month and no written contract. Sweet deal. I'm pumped. I love how things work out! I won't be so alone in Houston and we're both chemistry nerds!

I'm dating someone! His name is Nick Hopson. We've known each other for about a year now- I was his Chem 105 TA last Fall semester! He's from Washington, almost 24, pre-med...well...I don't want to bore any of you boys with details (I know the girls care) so just email me if you want the dish. You know I'll write back! Oh yeah, he's in Provo, dang it! But he will come visit me next month! I am quite fond of him, what more can I say?

I am just loving life. I have no stress. Maybe it just evaporates quickly. But I am seriously just so dang happy with everything! Life is wonderful. Hope it is for each of you, as well!

-Ms. Cover Your Buttons

--> super cool button covers...haha

1 comment:

draco said...

why am i not surprised that your blog is all pink? but where are the frogs?
i'm loving your dc stories! i wish i could come visit you- especially now that you're in on my secret identity; we could go shopping together and check out all the cute little restaurants and then finish the day with a good chick flick. wait- that's what we always do anyways haha. i love you jenn!