Sunday, October 7, 2007

Lunch Boxes and Other Ramblings


So this week has been interesting.

I bring a tin lunch box to school. Yes, they still make those. Mine has colorful stripes on it. People often comment, it's funny. Even people on the Metro. And people on the Metro never talk to anyone. They must think I'm like 12. And they're like you, surprised that they still make them. At least I eat lunch! And my lunch box matches my metro-pass holder, so there. haha. (Borders carries these items)

I made a new friend. Her name is Shirley. She lives on the floor below me. I see her out in the common areas of our building. She's probably 80 +/- a few years...I'm not sure. So I visited with her on Sunday. She's lived in so many different places around the world and she's an artist. I'm learning a lot from her- like the advice to volunteer wherever you live- there's so many great opportunities you wouldn't even think of! Like the zoo or for 9/11 she helped out and at the White House!

I witnessed my first fight. It was in the hallway during lunch. That's why we have security people in our building all day. There is a lot that goes one that we're unaware of. Ms. Petree says that there are a lot of kids in gangs. Scary!

My roommate Melissa had her birthday on Tuesday. I brought her home flowers and made a cake. We had tons of people over after Institute (our weekly young adult religion class). I got to Tango dance. haha. Someone dropped their cell phone from our balcony! 12 floors up. Whoops.

My doctor is changing my medication. It'll take about a month until I'm on the new one, but hopefully it'll help my sleep problem out. I'm struggling a bit, but I'm trying.

My students had a test this week. They did great. For this big Teacher Work Sample project that every BYU teacher has to complete, we get to analyze the learning of our students during a unit. I'm using the unit we just did, so this weekend I'll spend some time with that project. Fun.

And we've started a new unit on the History of the Atom. We had some library research time and we're always doing something crazy- group presentations and exploring different ideas. I'm even learning a lot! The history of the atom is cooler than I thought!

My best night this week was ordering pizza with Whitney and just chatting. It's nice to just relax and have good gal pals! Her boyfriend just flew in Thursday night and will be here until Tuesday. (He's staying with our guy friends downstairs.) In other words I won't be seeing much of her for a few days! That reminds me- some of you should come visit....!!!! Make sure it's the DCA Reagan Airport! Whit and Jeff didn't get home until wayyyy to late because he went to the other airports. Reagan is like 10 minutes from us. Anyways, I do miss so many of you!

I finished another book: "Forget About It" by Caprice Crane. This girl gets hit by a car and fakes amnesia so she can reinvent her life. It's pretty hilarious. A little PG-13 as far as books go (language and sexual references), so I wouldn't recommend it for everyone. I'm also half way done with "Personal Finances for Dummies" (Thanks, Dee!!!) which is quite entertaining AND useful. Next on the list is "Uncle Tom's Cabin"...Nick was sweet enough to send me that book for my bday. I love reading! Beats having a TV any day!

No comments: