Friday, October 26, 2007

I Got It From My Mama

This week was an "on" week but I just can't sleep for the life of me. But I am a trooper! I'm still as happy as I can get! And this email was just way too much fun to write. Are you ready?

I got "placed" in my new school district. I will be teaching just Chemistry at Clear Creek High School. It's right next to the district offices and I have met the principal (when I went to visit...). I met a few principals and the joke was that they were going to arm wrestle for who got me. And well, this principal definitely would've won an arm wrestling contest. He's a manly man. Guess he did win! haha.. You can check my school district out at www.ccisd.net (Clear Creek Independent School District).

I am putting my foot down. The discipline in my class is just not there. But this week I changed things. It'll be interesting to see how they did on the test I gave them, too. But yeah, maybe I need to have more challenging work for them. I thought the stuff I gave them was challenging. But maybe I need to have extra work for the ones who 'get it' quicker than the others.

As for the kids who miss a lot of class and will essentially fail the class...I am still not going to give up on them, but they will have to learn in the hard way that they can't just skip class and skip life!

I got to talk to the parents of one such student. They said they wouldn't want to be in school from 8:45-3:15 either! Sad! Guess that attitude really is inherent. So thank goodness for good parents! Ms. Petree stated that it's hard for students to come from the structured middle school to such a huge and largely unstructured high school- that they think they can get away with more. I want to HELP these kids who struggle even though it's not really fair to those who are there every class and do the work expected of them. But I guess sticking to my guns and being strict about makeup work only will teach them? I don't know?!?! Does it? Is that fair if they are not going to learn the material because they missed so much and cannot make it up? Those are the exact kids that are going to be flipping burgers in a few years. What can I do?!?! I feel like I'd be so much more organized if this was my classroom. That I'd have the "excused" absences forms to properly excuse the kids and give them their makeup work and then be able to call the parents who's kids are skipping and failing. But you know, it’s priceless to learn this in the odd setting I’m in! Any thoughts?

On Monday a whole group of us went on the 'ghost and graveyard' tour of Old Town Alexandria. We had the coolest tour guide- he told awesome stories about ghosts and olden day traditions of dating. It was very amusing. Apparently fans (the expandable paper kind) did all the talking with girls back in the day. The girls had such power in dating! We still do now, just not with fan-signals telling them to come over or to leave! Or to kiss us...

Oh, I had a run-in with sponge curlers last week. You know they never work and your hair just turns out all goofy, but I wanted to try again. And they looked awful! My roommate laughed soooo hard. Needless to say I re-washed my hair before going out. Those stupid sponge curlers! haha




Funny kid moments (there are quite a few from this week!!!):

I was giving extra credit for the test if they were wearing "spirit week" stuff. One day was "wear your grade color" so I wore red because most of my kids are sophomores. One kid asked if he could have extra credit because his underwear is red. Are you serious? Man. I think I might give it to him because that's just funny!

Another kid asked me to homecoming: "So, Miss Daniel, you know, if you don't have anyone to go to homecoming with, you know, I'd, you know, go with you, you know." watch out Nick!

The same kid later asked if he could call my parents and ask for my hand in marriage. watch out Dad and Gail!

My kids think that my taste in music is rather hilarious. Especially that I listen to Hannah Montana and John Mayer. Hey, give me a break! It's good, fun music. :) I don't get their music. Crank that. Con-ye who? No, I beg your pardon, I got it from my mama. Who's a cyclone? (don't fret if you don't get it. however, my sister would laugh at me right about now. but she likes that stuff.)

I got a high five for being an awesome teacher. Gotta love those moments!

My students don't want me to leave- they offered to pay me $5 each every week to make me stay. How sweet. Too bad life is more complicated than that, as much as I don't want to leave them...

This one girl said, "All my teachers are female and over 50. Except you. And all my teachers are christian. Except you. You're Mormon." Thanks I think? Mormons are Christians bytheway.

I have a bunch of cute Asian students- they came in for help before their test during lunch and I got to help them and then we played around with my PhotoBooth application (which allows you to take pictures with your computer and you can do funny effects...) on my MacBook (remember dad and gail how much fun you had with that?!?!). Yeah, those gals got a kick out of it! They even took pictures of the pictures. haha.

This next one is great!!! So Monday last period of the day this kid comes into my class and tells me he's shadowing from Deal (another high school. well that's what I thought. It's really a middle school...) to see if he wants to come here. I didn't object and even let him help me run the review games we had planned. He had a blast. At the end of class he informs me that he actually was just skipping his 4th period because they had a sub! Oh gosh. Gullible Jenn. Ms. Petree laughed when I told her.

Ooh, things to look forward to- 1. Nick is coming to visit in less than two weeks! 2. I get to go to New York for Thanksgiving- I get to spend time with Aunt Karen (who I actually have never met- she's Gail's sister and the only one I haven't met...) and her family! How fun! I feel so lucky to have Gail's family as part of mine now, too! The more the merrier!

Favorite foods of the week: Costco potstickers (they are just so yummy and easy!) and caramel apples rolled in peanuts. mmm fall food. You know you want some now...

I remember that I was once scared to come out here to DC (remember that, Nate? ps-thanks!). Well, I don't even know what I was scared about! I absolutely love it here and am just conquering every day better than the day before. A little faith goes a long way!

On that note, I shall close. Until next week. Or if tomorrow (it is the homecoming dance- I am chaperoning!!!) is rather interesting you’ll hear from me sooner.
Remember who you got "it" from. (it’s your mama.)

No comments: