Sunday, September 9, 2007

The Adventures of Week One

I am loving it here in D.C. This week has been amazing! And entertaining. I think one of the things that just makes everything great is that I have awesome roommates. All six of them are amazing and we just have tons of fun together. We have a BYU coordinator out here- her name is Becky Vanatter. She talks a lot and gives us really long unnecessary lessons and tells extremely long stories...we're just not intrigued. The week was very long because of her. But I guess we'll have to get used to that. She's like our mom, but not in a good way. It'll be interesting.

We toured the Library of Congress and spent a day in Mt. Vernon. We got personalized tours from Becky. On Friday night we got a group from our ward together to visit the Monuments. We only saw Lincoln and Vietnam, however. Last night I had a date with a boy from our group the night before! We went to the other monuments- FDR and Jefferson at least. He's great.

So we have church today and then we start in the schools tomorrow. We did visit all of our schools. There are 5 of us at Wilson high. Yeah- there are 11 gals total- but 3 are married and 1 lives with her folks so 7 of us live together. I briefly met (like 30 seconds) my teacher- Ms. Petree. The only things I can use to describe her are short, old, and rumor has it she's a hard teacher. She won't be there tomorrow so that'll be lame. Becky tells us we have to be flexible. Okay. I can see why.

Wilson HS is in a nice area but kids are bussed in from all over D.C.- specifically urban areas. There are rich kids and poor kids so diverse in many ways. 50% african american, 20% caucasian, 20% hispanic, and 10% asian. It's a beautiful school, for being old. Nice woodwork. The mascot is the tiger and the colors are green and white.

So, I think that's all the updates. It's gonna be an adventure! At least that's what Becky says...

No comments: