Sunday, September 16, 2007

Chemistry at Wilson High


This week was our first week in the schools. I'm at Wilson High School. My mentor teacher is Ms. Petree. She's awesome! She's been teaching for 41 years- can you believe that?!?! So she definitely has experience. She is so easy-going. She's a hoot. I don't know how else to describe her- she's a hoot!

I'm learning to balance- I'm very effective with my time and have gotten a lot done during the day (lesson plans, lab prep, copies....pretty much everything is ready for the next two weeks). So when I get home from school I can have time to relax. I recognize the helpfulness of good teaching resources- good problem sheets and labs and such. I appreciate the book we use- there are a lot of good things in it.

I'm learning about different class-personalities. I have one class that is very grade orientated and on top of things- they don't like busy work and generally do well. I have to be on my toes to gain their respect knowledge-wise. Another class though needs a little more motivation and yet they don't argue about grades and they have confidence in their teachers' knowledge.

This experience is also different for each one of us. I feel so confident and prepared and organized while others have such different situations in their classrooms and everything lends to different emotions and stresses. I'm really trying hard to be a good friend to the girls I live with. I feel really close to all of them.

I have quite the social life here. Always something. I had another great first date. We even made a funny little video about socks. haha. My roommates are always up for adventures, too. Good times.

Anyways, I start teaching this week! And my birthday is Thursday...and there is salsa dancing in the district this weekend, too! So much to look forward to!

No comments: