Saturday, September 22, 2007

I ain't no cute lil barbie doll


Teaching this week was amazing. I have three classes of chemistry that I teach. One class meets everyday and the other two longer every other day. I just started a unit on a bunch of basic chemistry stuff- units of measurement, density, states of matter, physical/chemical changes…all that good stuff. Each day I’m learning something new on how to teach them. Like one day they didn’t do their homework. Nobody did! So we talked about what we can do better next time- like I can be clearer about assignments and write them on the board, they can bring their books to class, etc… and it actually worked for the next time. My classes are really well behaved. One class I changed their seating around so they wouldn’t talk…and another I changed around because they are so segregated socially. There are a few sleepy/inattentive kids and I’ve been working with them. And the kids who aren’t as good at English (mainly Asians), I’ve got some ideas on how to help them out with quizzes and tests…so we’ll see.

Becky (my coordinator-lady) came in for a whole 90-minute class period and observed me. She’s quite judgmental, mind you. She was so amazed with the way I taught. She said I’m a natural. Ms. Petree said, “She does this every day!” She had nothing but good things to say. ☺

Here are some classic moments from this week:

Ms. Petree is just so sweet to me. She brought chips and soda for each class on my bday! And she’s just awesome. I tell her all the time she’s “cute”…
Me: “oh, you’re so cute!”
Ms. Petree: “I don’t know what you mean by that!”
Me: “Just that you’re thoughtful and sweet…”
Ms. Petree: “oh, you can call me cute then!”

A kid in my class: “She sounds like a Barbie doll.”
I wasn’t supposed to hear that, but I did.
Another kid replied: “Barbies don’t talk.”

Ms. Petree cut and permed her hair.
Me: “Did you do your hair?!?!”
Ms. Petree: “No! I had a beautician do it! If I did it, it’d look like it does everyday at school!”


Card from three nice Asian gals in my third period class:
Front: “Happy Birthday” written in somewhat curly letters.
Inside: “I’ve been saving these pubic hairs for weeks!” then in handwriting “Happy birthday! You’re a good teacher!”
WHAT?!?! So I know these gals are not 100% proficient in English- I really don’t think they know what that word means…but it is sure funny! goodness.


We were going to the Zoo on my birthday. Three of my roommates were going to meet me, and so was Casey. But, come 4:00, when we were going to meet up, nobody could come! So I went to the zoo by myself. I got to see my favorite lil poison dart frogs! After that I went home and met up with everyone. We went out for Thai food and then had cake and ice cream at our apt. A lot of people came by! My roommates made a yummy german chocolate cake, too. How sweet.

Thanks to all of you who emailed/called/facebooked/texted/mailed me a card or whatnot me on my bday- that means a lot! It was good to hear from each of you!

This weekend wasn’t terribly exciting. Ms. Petree took me out to dinner after school Friday for my bday. I cut my hair super short again. A few of my roommates and I went to go see “Across America.” Saturday we went to a bbq at a biology teacher’s house in Maryland and watched a film-festival in our stake (Church-related). Marci and I had fun on the metro because we had a whole car to ourselves…so we sang and danced to my ipod music. haha!

Just gearing up for another week at Wilson High. Teaching is exhausting. I’m starting to feel it. I need to find a good doctor around here but they’re all booked until November! So I’m doing what I can- working out a few times at our gym upstairs and trying to get enough sleep (or just time in bed…). Thank goodness for Sundays. A day of rest and no stresses. Have a good week, everybody!

No comments: