Friday, November 2, 2007

angels and devils

Homecoming Dance. I didn't go to the game (I just don't do those kinds of things) but we did lose. haha. Anyways, the homecoming dance was quite the ordeal! It was in the ballroom of the Marriott hotel downtown DC. Hor'dourves of all kinds, little sodas, and crazy music! It was way fun watching the kids. My little "white" sophomores all sat around in groups and barely danced while mostly black kids were on the small dance floor. Kind of funny how that is. They're kind of segregated in class like that, too. No obviously dislike for each other, they just are more comfortable in their own little cliques. Hence why I split them up for group work and such! But they always complain. Anyways, back to the dance- Jophie and Jake were asking me to dance many times (those silly boys) but I said I couldn't. Then Jophie asked Ms. Petree to dance and she did, so haha. well, five of my boys all surrounded me to dance- those goobers! It was pretty dang funny. You should've been there. I wore my pretty pink 'barbie' dress. Good times!

We've had interruptions of all kinds in the past week or two! Homecoming, Spirit Week (so they dress up all crazy), Pep-rallys, assemblies, fire drills (uhm THREE in one week. once we were outside for over an hour!!! the firemen did come, late, for that one), half-day, halloween, school audit (so homeroom lasts for like 2 hours), and other crazy stuff. You sure learn how to be flexible as a teacher! Let's just say it's been chaotic. Oh and that was the most interesting pep-rally I will ever see. Spirit times a hundred and music times a thousand- black kids can dance! In very suggestive ways, but yes, they can dance way better than anyone else I know! It was an eye-opening experience to culture!

Classroom management. It's hard! I apparently was not a normal teenager. You know how I was/am! I was always good, never talked, and was always in classes with other kids who were good and didn't talk. And never did anyone ever 'flirt' with the teacher! goodness. So it's hard to be 'struck' by ALL these kids- many of whom are wonderful- who just are normal teenagers in every sense of the word. Even my "good ones" aren't good. Okay, so there's maybe three or four absolute angels. But the other smart ones even have attitude and feel the need to say anything at anytime. They can be little devils. We made class room rules- and a warning system together this week. They didn't want "no flirting with the teacher" on the rules, however. Goobers. Goobers, I tell ya. Maybe a few are in love with me. haha. I don't think so but all evidence points to yes. I don't know what to do with them somedays. It's crazy. CrAZy. And I have Becky trying to tell me what to change to get a better grip on them AND another teacher (the head of the science dept in the school) as well. Okay, great. I'm working on it! But it doesn't change overnight. Patience begets experience.

I don't like how Ms. Petree grades. Their final grade is basically only based on tests. Not fair. And my kids see that it's not fair, but there isn't anything I can do about it.

Ms. Petree fell Monday and was out for a couple days. She's okay. Mind you, she's gotta be over 65. I tripped up the stairs- I have a nice bruise to show for it. haha. And I'm borderline sick...dang it! Next week is SO busy and Nick is coming. I can't get any sicker!

Lesson of the week- be thankful for your parents and tell them you're thankful for all they've sacrificed for you! One story- we're learning about the periodic table and I was reading them a story about Mendeleyev- the creator/organizer of the periodic table. His mother knew he was bright and walked over 1000 miles (okay, this was in the 1800s...) to two different colleges to try to get him enrolled. She died of exhaustion in the process but knew the importance of education and loved her son. He dedicated his first book to her. But amazing sacrifice on her part, huh! Look that story up if you want more info (this is a shout out to Dr. Wood, too! He first told me that story). Second story- just talking to Nick this week one night I was telling him how great my family was- all the little things my dad and mom did to help us and that we always had family dinner and time together... and it just made me want to write my dad and say thanks (so I did). Those kinds of things are hard to put into words because what our parents have done for us is HUGE. But it's worth a shot to say what's in your heart. Yup.

Okay, so I'm not quite ready for all the craziness next week holds- I'm substituting for another chemistry teacher on top of my usual chem classes and Nick is coming Thursday night! Just pray that I get feeling better!

No comments: