Monday, June 30, 2008

Houston, we have a problem



























A week in India

Well, not actually a week in India, but rather a week with high schoolers from India! This week at Nasa Space School our group was full of 17 kids from Punjab, India. They speak Hindi and Punjabi. About half speak decent english, about half don't speak or understand a word of english. This is their first time in the US- and they came specifically for Space School! well, they are going to Disney World next week...

They are great kids. I've learned a lot about their religions and culture- I didn't realize how much we really DON"T know about other cultures. I want to go to India someday! Most of the kids are Sikhs. All male seeks have the same last name. They took us out to real indian cusine on wednesday night- that was so sweet of them. I really did like it. Still not my preferred choice (thai, chinese...haha). These kiddos took tons of photos! And well, they kind of smell bad. just their culture thing- but man, the b.o. was bad sometimes. They did think Lucki and I were beautiful. haha. And occasionally they would way the S-word. Oh s. Their main chaperone Abhishek is super cool- he's 24 and an entrepreneur of space sorts- he's worth millions with the business he started! He is fun to get to know- he keeps in touch with us! In fact he invited me to
canada this weekend...but gosh I don't know!

Houston, we have a problem.

So Lucki and I work amazingly well together. Unfortunately our bosses think that's a bad thing. They pretty much cut us out of half the summer and we won't be working a space school TOGETHER at all. We now have to be teamed up with one of the 'bosses'. Utterly ridiculous. Which means we get cut out of hours. I didn't know I wasn't going to work this week or next! They told us today! How awful of them! We cried. What they did to us is not fair at all. They are the worst bosses ever. I'd quit except even the two measly weeks of space camp money is needed to achieve my lofty financial goals. It just irks me that they think they can get away with treating us like that.

Meanwhile I got my phone turned back on. It's still 'broken' but at least the numbers are salvaged now. My new phone should come in the next day or two. And I've been having to deal with a canceled payment that still went through on my student loans (super annoying!!!).

So I'm actually kind of bored. I can read a lot. But I hate not having something to do all day! Okay positives- I can study physics, I can get my classroom ready for next year, I can hang out with friends. I have Lucki as a dear dear friend.

Gosh. enough for now.

No comments: