Friday, October 17, 2008

go go go

Okay, so this week I gave a super hard test to my AP kids. I gave a major curve, however, when I graded it. On the back I also asked for their feedback on three things- I wanted them to
1. tell me what they were understanding (specific)
2. tell me something they do not understand (specific)
3. tell me something I can do to help them in or outside of class (nicely...)

So I got really good feedback. Some fella on questions 3 wrote "you're nice". Others said "extra credit!" One said "I don't understand anything nor have I learned anything in your class" and replied with a "teach!" to number three. Ouch. But she's complained about this class to her AP before and I've talked with him about it. He says there will always be one kid like that. And he says I'll be even better a year from a now. Very positive. I meet with her mom on Tuesday, too (with him as well, thank goodness). But all the other 16 responses were helpful and positive. So our lesson on Friday was different than normal- and it was great for all. I changed things up a little and I think we all learned from it. So I'm not afraid of feedback (well, they are my AP kids so I trust them a bit more). I felt good about that.

I made a lot of phone calls to parents last night. Half to kids who are borderline failing...half to parents to just tell them I enjoy having their kid in my class. They really appreciated that.

This week has been non-stop. And it doesn't have a stop, either! I had Nasa Australian events Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Wednesday we also gave the PSAT. Thursday I had TAKS tutorials til 4:30 but then nothing (thank goodness) but calling parents and watching The Office. Then today was Homecoming! Carnival during lunch, pep rally, craziness. Mums. It's a southern thing but everyone had one. I'll get pictures tonight. We're going to the game. I got a group of about 8 to go. It'll be fun. they'll be here any minute now.

Then tomorrow I teach a TAKS camp til noon. Then in the evening I have a date! Gary and I are going to Lucki and Stephen's around 5:30. I am making enchiladas. Yum. Then we'll play games or whatnot then Gary and I are going to chaperone homecoming. It'll be interesting- the chaperoning! I hope Gary doesn't regret saying yes! haha.

Wait, I'm not done. On Sunday I have to teach a Relief Society lesson. Have I read it yet? No. Whoops. Guess I can't sleep til 11 on Sunday like I'll want to because I'll have to prepare it. Dang.

I wish I had time this week to go shopping. I got some gift cards (because I've spent money on credit cards, rewards....and one from Victoria Secret for panties, haha). I have 3 more Australian events next week and I need to get my oil changed....oh yeah, and grade labs and whatnot.

Funny mail- I have a good friend named Daniel Jennejohn who lived in my DC apt complex. I got mail today forwarded to me but it has his name on it! haha. (see how our names are like backwards?). I also got some CDs from my old friend Melissa from when we used to paint for Mead. She found our CD case and sent it to me! good times.

No comments: