Sunday, October 12, 2008

Smart Girls

So I just read most of this book entitled "Smart Girls" by Barbara Kerr, PhD. She studied gifted girls from her 'special gifted class' from elementary school and then saw where they ended up at their 10 year high school reunion. Here are some things that got me thinking---

Okay, so I was a Smart Girl. I was Valedictorian and was always the best (except at english papers). The book says Smart Girls (or SGs) begin to doubt their smartness once in their sophomore year of college. Check. That's what I did. I don't really consider myself smart anymore. So what if I teach physics, why does that make me smart? A quarter of the girls Dr. Kerr went to school became teachers or at least majored in education then became mothers, one or the other. Is teaching a cop out? I mean, I went to UW in lure of a Chem. Eng. degree. I even had scholarships because I was a girl interested in Chem Eng! But I changed to teaching because I felt that was more of my calling in life- I wanted to affect students/people. Not deal with lab work or an office. But is that my potential?!?!

SGs need mentors. I can be that to my SGs that I teach (in AP...). Gosh. I don't know what I'm thinking. That book got me thinking....

No comments: