Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Finding My Purpose

Okay, so the gospel is so neat. The Lord works in mysterious ways! I'm already finding purpose here in Texas. I'm meant to be a missionary. Just being. :) Today at the dentist office, I got there super early and so started to talk with a couple people. This lady brought in her elderly father (who is 93 and has been married for 69 years!). Anyways, we get to talking and I find out she's mormon. And a few minutes later that she's inactive (doesn't go to church anymore). She married a nonmember back in the day and stopped going then. Sad! I said I'd feel a void if I stopped going to Church. Anyways, maybe meeting me wasn't a coincidence but Heavenly Father giving her a little push in the right direction. Nunca se sabe! (you never know!)

That IS the case with my manager at Babin's! Shadonnie is one of my managers- she's 30, married, pregnant...and mormon! She joined when she was 16 but left the church when she got pregnant at 18. Her current hubby is her second marriage. She told her husband the other night that I started working at Babin's and am LDS. He was like, "LDS? What?" and she clarified that meant Mormon. He replied, "Oh, weren't you one of those crazies?" haha. She said, "We're not crazy!" She said she thinks it's a sign she needs to start going back to church (getting him there would be next to impossible). Her daughter is three and just two weeks ago found Shadonnie's old scriptures- complete with scripture mastery inserts and everything! She had no idea where her little girl found these. So that added to the 'coincidence' that is telling her she needs to go back to church. We shall see! It makes me happy to be in a place where I can be an influence on those around me. In DC I know I left an impression on my students...and now I am with everyone here that I work with. The Lord can use us in amazing ways. I do have purpose in being here in Texas.

So my third period class (mainly girls) was bratty to start out with- they were just 'testing' me because I was a new teacher to them (they got transferred out of another class) and a new teacher in general. I was talking about this to a couple gals (one of which was bratty at the beginning) and she admitted she was a brat. it was funny. But now that class loves me. We have fun and everyone is nice and does what is asked of them without complaining. The brattiness is over-I won them over! :) Hooray! Tuesday was testing day and I have them after lunch so we ordered pizza from Pizza Hut. It was soooo yummy! I brought sodas and we had plenty to eat! Tomorrow we're going to make s'mores....

I went to the dentist yesterday. Is it weird if the actual dentist cleans your teeth? I thought they just check you after the hygienist cleans your teeth- poke around your mouth and stuff. I have no cavities and very clean, white teeth. :) Which is nice because I don't think I've been to the dentist in years... It's nice to have health insurance, let me tell you!

No comments: