Tuesday, February 19, 2008

ReCycle those Storm troopers

Chem Commers. My chem com kids are dumb. I don't mean to be mean, but these kids are troublemakers. I haven't seen half of them for 2 weeks because they have ISS (In School Suspension). Luckily there are only six of them in my class! It's truly a miracle if I can get them to do ANY work. We made acid rain today. We had to test it on apple skins- which some kid kept eating (wish he waited for the acid rain to get on it...haha). The found the distilled water bottle quite amusing to squirt each other with. And goggles put over a hood (over your eyes) makes for a great storm trooper impersonation. I'm sure they did other stupid stuff that I can't remember. Those kids.

Recycling. In Washington we have blue recycle bins at everyone's home- great for keeping the earth green, right? Well, Texas it's hard to find that. I emailed the head secretary asking if there was a recycle club or something to collect my pop cans (which I have many...I drink too much diet coke, I know, I know). So an hour after I send the email, this timid little girl comes to my class and says she was told to talk to me- the head of the recycling club- about what to do for recycling. I told her I wasn't and sent her back to whoever sent her to me. Weird. I did, however, take the initiative- even though I am NOT the recycle club head- to call a couple places in the area. One replied "we don't recycle." and put me on hold until I hung up.

A date. Yup. I had a date saturday night. His name is Andrew. We met the first week here- his elder brother (and wife and kids) are in the family ward I was in. But Andrew goes to the singles ward- he's introduced me to lots of people, it's great! Anyways, there was a valentine's dinner dance saturday and we went. Drove in the crazy tornado weather, too. He asked why are you so sweet? I said, "Sugar and spice and everything nice."

Babin's. I'm finally making money waiting tables. I only work thursday-saturday evenings. So that's not too much. I hope. Only one late school night then... I made good money Saturday. So hope that keeps up.

Financial goals. My goal is to pay off ALL my student loans in the 6 months grace period. I can totally do it. And I'm going to save up money to buy a house in a year and a half or so. And I don't have much in the ways of housewares, so I'm accumulating that each month so I can be ready to live on my own soon. I think shopping for house stuff may be more fun than clothes shopping...whoa! Maybe this summer I'll get my own place (to rent that is).

Valentine's day was cute. I brought cupcakes for my teacher friends. They didn't have ants crawling all over them (uhm, like on the mission with Tammy and our valentine cookies...that we still gave away... haha).

Oh yeah so the kids had their first test and did SO bad! One girl got 100% but only a few passed with 70 or above. Quite shocking. But apparently that's normal. Especially since we changed up the test style (it's the same for all chem teachers).

No comments: