Sunday, February 10, 2008

Seafood, anyone?


The biggest news, besides getting glasses, is that I picked up a second job! I'm waitressing at Babin's Seafood House- a fine dining (yet fun) restaurant on the Kemah Boardwalk.The Boardwalk has a bunch of seafood places and amusement rides and carnival games and shops...it's really a fun place to be. And my discount works everywhere on the Boardwalk! For up to 4 people! :) That's a nice perk. Anyways, I've only been there a week so I'm still training. It's gonna keep me super busy, though! Okay, so you're probably like why in the world is she getting another job, isn't first year teaching crazy enough? Well, I'm really not stressed with teaching. I maintain my balance. I'll talk more about that in a minute. The main reasons are to make some extra money (I can pay off all my student loans in way under a year- that'd be awesome! No debt whatsoever!!!), to have a sure summer job (and spring break), and to get out the house more. I sometimes feel like I'm around too much. I go to work after my roommate and come home before her. And sometimes, not so much these days however, I feel like I'm in "her" place. So this will give her more space, too. And it'll keep me busy. Super busy. But Babin's is cool with me not working on Sundays and Wednesdays (Church and institute/religion class). And we're closed Mondays until Memorial day. So I don't feel slammed except in the week. ;) And the reason why I'm not stressed teaching is because I'm a mid-year and they just kind of made classes for me to teach. My chemistry classes are really small- less than 18 each, and my chemcom class I either teach with Traci or just do what she did, and the TAKS prep class doesn't take any prep. So my schedule really isn't crazy. But I need to think about taking the Physics and Chemistry certification test to be certified in both for next year...

My students have warmed up to me quite a bit! We're having fun. This week is so dumb because we have three days completely messed up because of TAKS testing. And it's not even the real TAKS (the state test), it's just a 'benchmark' to see where they're at. It's so dumb! I won't see my 2nd period class at all next week and 3rd period I see twice..it's all crazy. But for my 3rd period class we're going to have a pizza party! And S'mores (it kinda goes with a lab...). But hopefully these kids don't forget everything- they have a test in a week! I've been calling lots of parents because their child needs to come in to get extra help. But there's only so much I can do!

My DC students miss me- they keep writing on my facebook page that they want me to come back and that they're failing chemistry. Ms. Petree is a super hard grader so I can see why... I hope they can hang in there. But I do miss those kiddos. They left an impression on me! Even as crazy as they are!

Still doing a lot- I hang out with my teacher gal pals outside of school as well as the usual church buddies. Leslie and I had 15 people over last night to play games. And I'm excited for Valentine's day- it's fun to do cute things. I'm going to bake cupcakes and give my teacher pals cute little bags of valentine's stuff. ;)

Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments: