Friday, February 22, 2008

whack in the head, cut in the foot.



Strange title, I know. So this is what happened this week. On Wednesday there was a bad situation at school. This skinny white kid and a big black kid threw some words around and the white kid walked off saying the "n- word". And then the black kid ran down the hall and whacked the white kid in the back of the head. Crack. The kid fell to the floor and started having convulsions- a seizure. And blood coming out of places it shouldn't. They had to Life Flight him to the hospital!!! Rumors were flying like crazy. And to make it more interesting, the white kid who got hurt was one of my students! One of the Chem Com kids (so yes, a troublemaker/druggie. The one who ate the apple peels in lab). Still breaks my heart that he got hurt! He is okay now, however. I think he gets to go home today. We made the news, too.

And the foot. So I got minor foot surgery today! Just removal of plantar warts. I've had them removed twice before but they keep coming back, so this is the official out-patient surgery to get them away for good (the other times were only in-office). My very kind and patient roommate went with me. They were way behind so it took forever! My appt was at 10 and we got out at 3!!!! Dang. But no pain so far. And I can drive tomorrow...and hopefully get the wrappings off on Wednesday. And the anesthesia is wearing off... I did have a sub today. My kiddos had plenty to do so they won't be behind at all.

My kiddos are LAZY. We had a test Monday/Tuesday (block schedule). And 90% got below a 70. It's the same test all chem teachers gave, and yes, it was hard, and it was multiple choice- TAKS style questions that the kids aren't quite used to. Anyways, they did so bad! And it's not my fault. All teachers report they did bad. So being kind as I am I let them get half points back for just correcting their answers either Tuesday or Thursday after school (tutorial time). I think maybe 10 came in this week. When 50 should have. Everyone should have!!!!!!! How lame to not take advantage of that. And one kid was supposed to take the test (for the first time) on Tuesday or Thursday and didn't show up at all. He gets a big fat zero- and he failed Chem last year and is a senior... that's not my problem now! I was very clear about when he could come in.

Well, that's all the news for this week. Much love!

No comments: